Wednesday, December 2, 2009

A-Z Wednesday


Reading at the Beach is hosting A-Z Wednesday where bloggers take the time to highlight one book that starts with the letter of the day. This week is the letter Q.

Several years ago I read Being Dead by Jim Crace. That book had a subject matter that is so far from my comfort level most people who know me would be shocked to hear that I read it. Even more amazing, I was absolutely gobsmacked by the book. And so I went out and proceded to buy up just about everything Crace had written. Quarantine was one of the books I eagerly bought. He's just such an amazing wordsmith. Of course, as with so many of the books I buy, it has languished amongst the unread masses ever since. So although I haven't read and reviewed it, I thought I'd take the opportunity to give it a plug, as well as to remind myself of the sheer beauty of the way Crace constructs a novel, no matter how esoteric the subject matter.

And again, in lieu of a personal review from me, here's what amazon says about the book: The story of Jesus's 40 days in the wilderness is surely among the most celebrated and widely diffused narratives in Western culture. Why, then, would Jim Crace choose to retell it in strictly naturalistic, non-miraculous terms? The obvious answer would be that the godless novelist is trying to debunk divinity--to take the entire New Testament down a notch. And at first, this does seem to be the case. Crace's Jesus first got religion as an adolescent, and "was transformed by god like other boys his age were changed by girls." His peers view his spiritual fervor as a youthful eccentricity. Even now, as the thirtysomething Jesus heads out to the Judean desert for his 40-day retreat, he's perceived by his fellow anchorites as a flighty and impractical Galilean. They even call him "Gally" for short--and what sort of deity answers to a nickname?

Yet Crace is hardly the jeering materialist we might expect. As Jesus takes to his cliff-top cave, the author renders his religious transports without a hint of irony, and with a linguistic elegance that can hardly be called disrespectful: "The prayers were in command of him. He shouted out across the valley, happy with the noise he made. The common words lost hold of sound. The consonants collapsed. He called on god to join him in the cave with all the noises that his lips could make. He called with all the voices in his throat." And while most of the temptations of Christ are visited upon him by humans--by the motley crew of his cave-dwelling neighbors--he resists them with what we can only call superhuman will. Quarantine does, of course, operate on a fairly realistic plane. Jesus dies of starvation long before his 40-day fast is complete, and his fellow retreatants, who take center stage throughout much of the novel, are much too confused and brutal ever to figure in any Sunday school pageant. Still, Crace leaves at least the possibility of resurrection intact at the end, which should ensure that his brilliant book will rattle both believers and non-believers alike.

7 comments:

  1. I have not hear of Jim Crace before.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to admit, so far, I haven't read many books I have listed. Their on my long TBR list. I keep buying other books and reading them, instead of the ones I already have.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have never heard of Crace before either - but then again it seems there are many authors I have not heard about... sounds like an interesting book!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never heared of Crace. Here is my "Q" book.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This author is new to me!

    Thanks for playing this week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Me too. I've never heard of Crace. He needs a better publicist!

    Here's my Q book, if you want to have a peek.
    :-)

    ==lennie==

    ReplyDelete

I have had to disable the anonymous comment option to cut down on the spam and I apologize to those of you for whom this makes commenting a chore. I hope you'll still opt to leave me your thoughts. I love to hear what you think, especially so I know I'm not just whistling into the wind here at my computer.

Popular Posts