Friday, August 14, 2009

Last 20 books (plus upcoming stuff)

All around the blogging world people are fessing up from whence the last 20 books they reviewed came. Most recently I read this on Beth Fish Reads and I thought it would be an interesting thing to look at myself. Working backwards:

The Book of Unholy Mischief by Elle Newmark (from the publisher)
Olive Kitteridge by Elizabeth Strout (bought but then also sent one from the publisher)
Vanishing by Candida Lawrence (from the publisher)
Seducing Mr. Darcy by Gwyn Cready (bought)
Old Friends and Old Fancies by Sybil Brinton (bought)
Blackman's Coffin by Mark DeCastrique (library but then bought because of a mishap)
Caenus and the Quiver of Artemis by Christopher Ledbetter (from the author)
Tattoo Machine by Jeff Johnson (from the publisher)
Last Light Over Carolina by Mary Alice Monroe (from the publisher)
Pocketful of Names by Joe Coomer (bought)
The Actor and the Housewife by Shannon Hale (from the publisher)
Instances of the Number Three by Salley Vickers (bought)
Ooh La La by Robin Wells (bought)
Time Stops for No Mouse by Michael Hoeye (bought)
The Pirates! In an Adventure with Napoleon by Gideon Defoe (bought)
How Perfect Is That by Sarah Bird (from the publisher)
The Castaways by Elin Hilderbrand (from the publisher)
The Pig Did It by Joseph Caldwell (bought)
The Lady Flees Her Lord by Michele Ann Young (bought)
The Zookeeper's Wife by Diane Ackerman (bought)

So my stats are as follows:

Books I bought: 12 (counting Olive Kitteridge and Blackman's Coffin)
Books sent to me: 9 (counting Olive Kitteridge)
Books from the library: 1 (counting Blackman's Coffin)

And just out for curiousity's sake, the stats on the next 20 (because that is how many I have finished but not yet reviewed) are:

Books I bought: 15 (but one is another I bought and then received from the publisher)
Books sent to me: 6 (see above)

So obviously my stats vary wildly. I don't think I am easier on books I've received than books I bought. In both cases I try to acquire books I will enjoy so in theory you'll read far more complimentary reviews here than the opposite. And some weeks the books may come more from my own stacks and other weeks the books may be a result of my being sent them. Either way I try very hard to maintain objectivity so you all can trust my reviews. Maybe not agree with them, but trust them nevertheless.

1 comment:

  1. It's an interesting exercise, I think. And I was glad to see that my ratings averaged out to be just about the same.

    ReplyDelete

I have had to disable the anonymous comment option to cut down on the spam and I apologize to those of you for whom this makes commenting a chore. I hope you'll still opt to leave me your thoughts. I love to hear what you think, especially so I know I'm not just whistling into the wind here at my computer.

Popular Posts