Wednesday, July 1, 2009

July's here


Apparently this is the Chinese symbol for determination. And given my list of reads scheduled for July, I'm going to need a lot of this! Last month I read 17 books, only some of which were on my original June list which means the unread books rolled over into July. Here's what's on tap for me this month (plus the 10 books I currently have bookmarks parked somewhere within and knowing that I am likely to have otehr books come in that need priority so this list is only marginally correct):

The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay by Michael Chabon
Prague by Arthur Phillips
East of the Mountains by David Guterson
The Golden Tulip by Rosalind Laker
Mr. Darcy’s Daughters by Elizabeth Aston
100 Shades of White by Preethi Nair
A Strong West Wind by Gail Caldwell
The Bloody War, Mate by John Mantle
The Dairy Queen by Alison Rushby
The Second Summer of the Sisterhood by Ann Brashares
A Vineyard in Tuscany by Ferenc Mate
The Rogue and the Rival by Maya Rodale
The Lace Makers of Glenmara by Heather Barbieri
Last Light Over Carolina by Mary Alice Monroe
Old Friends and New Fancies by Sybil Brinton
Seducing Mr. Darcy by Gwyn Cready
Number 6 Fumbles by Rachel Solar-Tuttle
Bound South by Susan Rebecca White
Mermaids in the Basement by Michael Lee West
Welcome to Higby by Mark Dunn
My Summer of Southern Discomfort by Stephanie Gayle
Terra Incognita by Sara Wheeler
The Mistress by Susan Wiggs
Devotion by Katherine Sutcliffe
Ragtime by E. L. Doctorow
Family Matters by Rohinton Mistry
Blackman’s Coffin by Mark DeCastrique
*Heart of Courage by Kat Martin
Pink Slip Party by Cara Lockwood
Mr. Vertigo by Paul Auster
Sloppy Firsts by Megan McCafferty
The Penderwicks by Jeanne Birdsall
Tattoo Machine by Jeff Johnson
The Book of Unholy Mischief by Elle Newmark
The Blue Notebook by James Levin
The Crying Tree by Naseem Rakha
Sacred Hearts by Sarah Dunant
This Lovely Life by Vicki Forman
Hollywood Is Like High School With Money by Zoey Dean
Pocketful of Names by Joe Coomer
Bread Alone by Judith Hendricks

When you stop laughing at the audacity and optimism captured by my list, remember that anything is possible (okay, probably not this list, but...) and that out of determination comes strength and pride (and an even longer list for August).

I did do a rather exceptional job of catching up almost completely on my reviews (only 4 left to write at the moment) if I do say so myself but since they are mostly scheduled to post while I am on vacation, you'll just have to take my word for it.

4 comments:

  1. You'll need to ape She-Who-Will-Not-Be-Named, the amazing reader from Amazonland, if you're going to get all those read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow - that is an impressive list! I have only read one: The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay by Michael Chabon and have only heard of about three more. It is amazing how many different books there are out there!

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Deb, I hope I never become like she who must not be named. ;-) And I'm okay with not making even a sizable dent in the list although given that I have some plane travel in my future, I might get in more reading than usual.

    Jackie, I suspect that some of your unfamiliarity with my list is because of the US-centric nature of my books, especially the older books, of which this is a decent sampling.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the symbol! Way to go on 17 books though! That is awesome. i really need to up my game. :)

    ReplyDelete

I have had to disable the anonymous comment option to cut down on the spam and I apologize to those of you for whom this makes commenting a chore. I hope you'll still opt to leave me your thoughts. I love to hear what you think, especially so I know I'm not just whistling into the wind here at my computer.

Popular Posts