Sunday, March 1, 2009

Review: Houston, We Have a Problema by Gwendolyn Zepeda

This fluffy bit of chick lit had a cute premise for a story: the main character has trouble making decisions in her life so she consults a fortune teller whenever she is at a crossroads. At least this is what the jacket copy promised. Unfortunately, since this is what interested me most about the book, this plot contrivance actually appeared fairly infrequently and without adding a single thing to the story. I think it actually detracted, as if the author suddenly realized she hadn't had Jessica visit the supposedly terribly important psychic so she dropped a scene in gratuitously. Other than this disappointment, the novel wasn't all bad. It was a pretty standard fluff book with a slight surprise ending but chick lit readers won't be surprised when I say that Jessica, our main character, learns a lot about herself and her prejudices, leading her to a happier, more fulfilled life both professionally and personally. A nice enough book to while away an afternoon with, it was ultimately merely the dreaded "okay."

No comments:

Post a Comment

I have had to disable the anonymous comment option to cut down on the spam and I apologize to those of you for whom this makes commenting a chore. I hope you'll still opt to leave me your thoughts. I love to hear what you think, especially so I know I'm not just whistling into the wind here at my computer.

Popular Posts