Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Review: The Secret Diaries of Miss Miranda Cheever by Julia Quinn

A new book by Julia Quinn is generally reason to celebrate since her Regency-set historical are some of my favorite guilty pleasures. So I was very excited to have this one come out and I immediately snatched it up at the bookstore. I set it aside to taunt me a bit to build the anticipation of reading it. And I think I may have gone a bit overboard because this one didn’t thrill me nearly as much as Quinn’s previous works have. Miranda is a young lady who has been in love with her best friend’s older brother for a decade, ever since he told her that she would one day be beautiful as well as smart. But Turner certainly didn’t wait for Miranda, marrying another and suffering a terrible marriage and a very public humiliation. It is immediately after this event that Miranda and Turner come face to face again so there’s a lot of angst to work through on Turner’s part. They did seem suited as a match, intellectual equals and all that but there was something less than satisfying about the second half of the novel. Perhaps because so much of the storyline became clichéd and the back and forth between Miranda and Turner could have been solved with some simple communication, it was an irritant that needed to be done away with. Overall, it was a nice enough historical romance but I know Ms. Quinn can and does do it better so that played into my feelings about the characters.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I have had to disable the anonymous comment option to cut down on the spam and I apologize to those of you for whom this makes commenting a chore. I hope you'll still opt to leave me your thoughts. I love to hear what you think, especially so I know I'm not just whistling into the wind here at my computer.

Popular Posts